Subject: Commercial use of TeachScheme?

From: Bill Gosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 20:13:38 -0600

Dear Sirs,

Is there any possibility of being able to use  the TeachScheme Project
materials in a commercial setting such as a for fee training seminar?
If there is a possibilty would royalties be involved.

Yours truly,
Bill Gosse

---

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:48:09 -0500 (CDT)

Thank you for your interest in our project!

Our material is under contract to the MIT Press, and is due to appear
in print in the next year or so.  When it does appear, you are welcome
to use material under the usual terms of copyright that govern books.

In addition, if you are interested, our team members may be willing to
serve in an advisory or consulting role to your interests.

Are you at liberty to tell us what you intend to use the material for?

Regards,
Shriram Krishnamurthi (for the TeachScheme! Project)

---

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:06:46 -0500 (CDT)

Though we present our material as being for high school students, it
is in fact used at various levels -- high schools are merely the
environment where we would like to see the most change first.  So, our
material is used in high schools, of course.  It's also the
introductory college curriculum at Rice, and is being adopted by other
universities.  We even use it as a quick way to get our incoming
graduate students to understand program design recipes (an undergrad
CS degree doesn't guarantee anything more than that these students can
hack away until something seems to work, unfortunately).  And we know
of some small companies that have close ties to us (former students,
etc) where they use our and related material to prep their employees.
So, if we can work out details like an appropriate pace and coverage,
I think this material can indeed be used profitably at your level.

If you haven't looked at the material in much detail, you may be
interested to note that there is in fact a fairly strong and deep
connection between the kinds of data designs we teach and the ones
the OO community has been recommending.  Therefore, in our second
semester at Rice, students make the transition from our material to
Java in a very short time, and furthermore produce *clean,
well-designed* Java code, not just a bunch of procedures with the
words class { ... } wrapped around them.

Do let me know if you have questions or comments.

'shriram

---

From: Bill Gosse <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:53:57 -0600

I'm currently the principal technical trainer for the company I work
for.  We offer our employees generic technical skills training in the
areas Unix, C++/Java programming, object orientation analysis/design, and
relational databases.  For some of the people we hire these topics are to
advanced.  So, I've been looking for an introductory programming course
to use inhouse.  It seems as though TeachScheme is focused on teaching
high school students.  I'd be curious to know if anyone has used it to
teach employees in a corporate setting.

Thanks for your help,
Bill Gosse