Subject: using teaching materials with dr. scheme

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 19:57:18 -0500 (CDT)

Hi -- thank you for your interest!  You asked,

> What are my options for using, adapting, and distributing the material?

Use: We welcome new users of the book.  In addition to a growing
number of high schools, some other colleges and universities are also
in the process of incorporating our book into their courses.  If you
choose to use it, I would be happy to set you up with password access
to the solution sets and other material (as it becomes available).  We
can also put you on our mailing list, where other users discuss
pedagogic questions, especially wrt the differences between
traditional (Pascal-style) curricula and ours.

Adaptation: The material is copyrighted by the MIT Press, who will be
publishing the book when it is completed.  Therefore, you will have to
treat it like any other published text.  In particular, you can't copy
the book en masse and selectively modify some parts of it.

Availability: We have retained the right to publish a Web version of
the book, which will remain available for free even once the paper
version is released.  Therefore, students are welcome to use the book
on-line without fear of disruption of availability.  (The worst that
might happen is that the book will move to a dedicated Web site.)

Distribution: You are naturally welcome to make a link to our site.
For now, we *may* be able to arrange for permission for you to make a
local mirror copy of the files, if you want to avoid network
disruptions.  In addition, we do provide copyright waivers, and a
loose-leaf version of the book, to teachers who want to make copies
locally for distribution in the classroom.  This is how our current
teachers and professors distribute the book.  This will of course have
to cease once the paper copy of the book is published.

A few notes about the software:

1. Irrespective of the book's publication status, the software will
continue to remain freely available on the Web.

2. The book works well with in conjunction with DrScheme.  In
particular, there are several (and a growing number of) graphical
exercises which are already implemented as "teaching libraries" in the
standard DrScheme distribution; it would take some effort to
re-implement these in other Scheme's.  The book also contains some
teachers' and programming environment notes.  Many of the former, and
all of the latter, explicitly refer to DrScheme.

I hope this answers your questions.  Please let me know if we can
provide additional details.

'shriram (on behalf of the authors)

---

From: Michael Siff <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:14:04 -0400

Hello,

My name is Michael Siff. I am a Professor of Computer Science at Sarah
Lawrence College in New York. This semester I will be teaching an
introductory programming course in scheme --- we will be using Dr.
Scheme software --- and I am interested in possibly using some of the
teaching materials (specifically some of the lecture notes) you have
made available on-line at:

	http://www.cs.rice.edu/CS/PLT/Teaching/Lectures/Released/

Thanks,

- Michael