Subject: MzScheme use in a funny place

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 23:17:11 -0500

Hi:

I have been happily using MzScheme for a couple of years for a
theatrical control system based on a 486 running MS-DOS.  I extended
the basic program with a serial module to control serial devices and a
(trigger) function to await signals from the parallel port (controlled
by a slide-projector remote control switch).  Shows are essentially
long (and fairly simple) scheme programs that alternate trigger
events, sleep periods, and signals to the various external
devices. (video disk players, video switchers, relay controllers,
serial port smart switches, doorbells, motors and so on).

The object system of MzScheme has been a blessing, too, allowing me to
incorporate new devices with a minimum of effort.  The threading
capability also promises to be important, although I haven't made much
use of them yet.

The system is in use now, and is running a show called "Millennium" at
a theatre in New York until March 6. (http://users.ids.net/~tomss/mill)

I gather that the most recent versions of MzScheme do not support
MS-DOS any more.  Can you tell me which may have been the last version
that might? (I think I am using a non-standard version of the gc.)

Many thanks for a great program.

-Tom Sgouros

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
tomss at ids.net - 401-861-2831 - 15 Boston Neck Road, Wickford, RI, 02852