Subject: RE: transcript-on command in DrScheme

From: Gadiel Auerbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 12:18:32 +0200 (IST)

Hi,

Sorry for the late response. We are going to use DrScheme in the course
"Functional Programming Lab". Its a mandatory lab for second year
undergraduates students. The lab is a prerequisite of the mandatory course
"Programming Languages", where programming paradigms is discussed and
illustrated through Scheme and ML. The teacher is Prof. Catriel Beeri,
I'm his assistant. We haven't started actually the course since there is a
students strike in all academic institutes of Israel.

I have wanted to use the transcript-on command in order to perform an 
automatic checking of exercises. I run a shall script which executes the
students' code with my checking program. Instead, I redirect the
output into a file. On a BSDI system, the script executes: 
drscheme-jr input_file > output_file
It solves the problem. I assume that DrScheme-jr version 53 is fully
competable with DrScheme of the same version.

Bye, 
 Gadiel.

----------
From: 	Shriram Krishnamurthi
Sent: 	Thursday, November 12, 1998 6:47 PM
To: 	Gadiel Auerbach
Subject: 	transcript-on command in DrScheme

Hi.  Thanks for your inquiry.  There is no transcript command in
DrScheme because the transcript facility is somewhat ill-defined.
Instead, the File menu contains these three options:

  Save Interactions
  Save Interactions As ...
  Save Interactions As Text ...

These will let you save the contents of the Interaction buffer with or
without the graphical images and other such output.  Hopefully you
will find this a more user-friendly option than transcript-on/off.

'shriram

PS: Are you using DrScheme at the Hebrew University, or only on a
    personal basis?  If it is being used for a course, I'm curious at
    what level.  Thanks!