Office: DH 3106.
Directions to my office can be found here.
Tel: (713) 348-5737
Fax: (713) 348-5930
"my last name"@rice.edu
Research and Teaching
- Corresponding Member, Academy of Athens, Greece, 2018
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Athena Lecturer Award and video, 2017
- Presidential Mentoring Award, Rice University, 2016
- ABIE Technical Leadership Award, Anita Borg Institute, 2015
- Member, National Academy of Medicine, USA, 2012
- Member, The Academy of Medicine, Engineering and Science of Texas (TAMEST), 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2012
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2012
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), 2010
- Fellow, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), 2008
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), 2004
- Fellow, The World Technology Network (WTN), 2004
- BioHouston's Women in Science Award, 2012
- World Open Source Software Challenge Grand Prize, OMPL (Open Motion Planning Library), 2012
- Charles Duncan Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, Rice University, 2004
- 100 World's Top Young Innovators by MIT's Technology Review Magazine, 2002
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society Early Academic Career Award, 2002
- Brilliant 10 Scientists, Popular Science Magazine, 2002
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Grace Murray Hopper Award
- Whitaker Investigator, 2001
- Fellow, Sloan Foundation, 2000
- NSF CAREER Award (Early Development Career Award), 1997-2002
Activities and News (a random collection)
- PI and Program Director of the NLM T15 Training Grant on Biomedical Informatics under the auspices of the Gulf Coast Consortia for
Quantitative Biomedical Sciences.
- Check out the Open Motion Planning Library (OMPL). The library is compatible with ROS and MoveIt and has been used on many robotics platforms. OMPL was awarded the Grand Prize at the World Open Source Software Challenge in 2012.
- National Academy of Medicine, Vice-Chair for Section 1, 2015-2017, Chair 2017-2019.
- Founding Chair and Co-chair, NAM Interest Group on Health and Technology.
- In the 2019 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, we were finalists in two of the seven categories for best paper awards. We won the best paper award in cognitive robotics.
- Associate Editor, The International Journal of Robotics Research.
- Editorial Committee, Annual Reviews for Robotics, Control, and Autonomous Systems.
- Associate Editor, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
- Associate Editor for Computer Science Review.
- Editorial Board, Springer Tracks in Advanced Robotics.
- Co-Editor, Big Data Special Issue on Robotics.
- Elected Member, AdCom, Robotics and Automation Society, IEEE, 2015-2017.
- Members Activities, Robotics and Automation Society, IEEE, 2015-2017.
- General Chair for Robotics Science and Systems (RSS) 2015.
- Program Chair for Robotics Science and Systems (RSS) 2014. More than 800 roboticists attended the single track RSS 2014.
- I had the honor to serve as a Distinguished Lecturer for 2008-2011 for
the IEEE Robotics
and Automation Society (RAS).
- Check out these cool pictures.
- Our robotics textbook
Principles of Robot Motion: Theory, Algorithms and Implementations is used worldwide.
- Co-Chair, the 19th Annual Research Conference of the Keck Center for Biomedical Sciences Training.
- Co-Chair, the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center 61st Annual Symposium on Cancer Research.
- Keynote speaker at the 2008 May meeting of the National Center for Women & Information Technology (NCWIT).
- Co-Organizer, Robotics Session at the German-American Frontiers of Engineering of the National Academy of Engineering, Germany, 2007.
- Invited Speaker, Computing Research Association (CRA) Symposium,
2006 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- I am the faculty advisor for the
Undergraduate Women in Computer Science Club at Rice.
- If you are a woman in computer science, check out
CRA-W and the opportunities it offers.
- Keynote speaker,
2004 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Conference.
- I am involved in the
Robotics Science and Systems Conference. This is
a single-track conference aimed to promote the very best work in robotics.
- I am involved in the
The International Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics. This is
the best venue for algorithmic work in robotics.
- A book: Robotics: the Algorithmic Perspective.
- I gave a plenary talk at the 1999
International Conference on
- 1998 talk
at the Frontiers of Engineering Symposium of
the National Academy of Engineering.
- Pankaj Agrawal, Matt Mason, and myself co-chaired WAFR 98, the Third
International Workshop on the Algorithmic
Foundations of Robotics.
Last (partial) update 2019